04 September 2009

Writing a Blog is Like Wearing a Pocket Protector

Apparently, writing a blog is like wearing a pocket protector: proof that one has not kept up in reading the memos that inform us about what has fallen out of fashion. A recent version of Harper's Index mentioned that 94% of all blogs have not been updated in the last 4 months.

Apparently most would-be bloggers need actual readers. That seems to me rather like deciding not to golf on weekends until a quiet but respectful crowd follows you from hole to hole.(And just for the record, that is why I don't golf. I tried it once and the adoring crowd failed to materialize.)

Those of you expecting some recognition for blogging should be sobered by this simple fact: even the spell checker at blogspot does not recognize the word "bloggers."

4 comments:

Gypsy at Heart said...

What am I? Chopped liver? ;-)
I thought I was a bonafide Rwrld reader.

Anonymous said...

I wish you could rent an Adoring Crowd to follow you around. I wouldn't want one all the time, but if I were having a hard day it could be a real ego boost.

Also: it would never fail to impress on a first date!

Allen said...

I suspect there are bloggers who write because they simply love to share their thoughts, bloggers who want to expound on anything and everything because blogging provides that public forum, bloggers who want recognition and fame, and bloggers like yourself, Ron, sharing thoughts and information on-line in a kind of virtual informal chat.

For me, I just don't seem to have the daily original thoughts popping into my head enough to warrant keeping up a blog. But that certainly doesn't prevent me from reading blogs like yours, Ron, that then give me a subject to muse about and respond to. My thoughts just don't seem to be varied. And I'd rather not attempt to keep a stale blog. so about the closest I get to a blog in what I randomly contribute in my Facebook page. and for me, it's enough.

Anonymous said...

Some people have something to say, others simply have to say something.