05 April 2007

Vonnegut and Posting the Beatitudes in Public Places

Yesterday, I read Vonnegut's latest, A Man Without a Country. It was like getting together with an old friend for lunch and remembering why you had once been such good buddies. He makes so many poignant and provocative points. One in particular struck me as worth repeating.

“For some reason, the most vocal Christians among us never mention the beatitudes. But, often with tears in their eyes, they demand that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. And of course that’s Moses, not Jesus. I haven’t heard one of them demand that the Sermon on the Mount, the beatitudes, be posted anywhere.”
– Kurt Vonnegut

He goes on to ask what it might be like to post "Blessed are the merciful" in a courthouse, or "Blessed are the peacemakers" in the Pentagon.

3 comments:

Dave said...

I may have to give him another try at this late stage, after reading the quote.

Life Hiker said...

Good catch, RWorld. Hope you don't mind that I forwarded it to a few friends as Easter presents.

Ron Davison said...

Dave - Man without a Country is a quick but provocative read. I think you'd enjoy it.

LH
I never mind having my thoughts (or, I guess in this case Vonnegut's thoughts) shared more broadly. Vonnegut's thoughts about the beatitudes sounds like a more appropriate easter present than chocolate rabbits.