04 March 2016

Could Be Serious - But How Would Anyone Know? The Collapse of the Absurd and Serious in American Politics

This week at the client site, I met a guy who works remotely from the UK. We chatted a little.

Later, I was waiting for him to move so I could get by him in a tight space and finally cleared my throat. He quickly apologized and quipped, "Sorry. Those immigrants just come over and get in the way."

"Yes," I replied. "But we are trying to figure out how to build a wall along the Atlantic Ocean."
One of the other Americans said, "And you know who will pay for it."
I nodded. "The good news, Steve, is that you'll have the French to help you to pay for it."

A number of guys laughed but Steve looked genuinely disoriented. As I walked away it hit me, "How would a foreigner know any longer what we consider to be absurd humor and what we genuinely think of as good policy?" In the politics of the right, those two have collapsed.

No comments: