22 September 2020

The Simplest of Life Hacks

The other day I was getting fish tacos at my favorite truck and 4 guys about 17 were doctoring their tacos at the same table. One of the guys admits to the other three - with some measure of guilt in his voice - "I really love fish tacos. I mean ... it's kind of stupid how much I love them." There is an awkward silence and I chime in.

"Old man life hack?" They look at me. "When I was your age I thought it showed sophistication to be hard to impress. Now? I have finally realized that easily made happy is like the coolest life hack around. Just think! It doesn't take that much and ... you're happy! Fish tacos! A pop song! A sunset. Delight in all of it and soon you'll realize that you're delighting in life. It can be that simple."

They are silent. They look at each other cautiously. One of the guys then says, "I will totally follow that advice." A murmur of "Yeahs!" followed. It made me happy. And then so did my taco.

No comments: